Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist Pediatrics / Peds - Full Time Variable Shift with Benefits - Fontana
Location: Chino Hills
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Job Summary: Under indirect, or direct supervision and based on
the understanding of patient variables such as age, sex, and other
physical characteristics: monitors or manages the medication
therapy of hospitalized or ambulatory patients as assigned; confers
with and assists medical personnel in the care and treatment of
these patients; provides medication information and pharmacokinetic
dosing advice; adjust doses, orders laboratory tests, and
administers medications according to established policies &
procedures; monitors medication distribution; dispenses, compounds,
and distributes pharmacy products. Provides direction to ancillary
pharmacy staff. Performs other duties as -required.Essential
- Upholds Kaiser Permanentes Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Performs sterile and non-sterile compounding.
- In collaboration with the health care team, develops and
implements patient-specific plans to optimize medication
- Monitors the medication therapy to assure optimum therapeutic
- Manage and optimize medication therapy based on interpretation
of data, assessments, and evaluations of patient outcomes.
- Follows hospital approved collaborative, pharmacokinetic drug
therapy management protocols (e.g., adjust drug doses, order
laboratory tests, assess therapeutic effectiveness etc.).
- Interviews patients and family members or other designated care
givers to obtain information regarding medication use, medication
allergies and sensitivities. Utilizes that information, as well as
pertinent information from other data sources, into the patients
medication management plan.
- Documents the information appropriately in the patients medical
record or other computer systems.
- Advises patients and designated family members or other
designated care givers regarding medication, directions for use,
storage requirements, medication coordination with diet, importance
of compliance, precautions and warnings for medication
- Advises the patient and designated family members or other
designated care givers on the use of medication related
- Provides pharmacokinetic dosing advice to medical
- Orders and adjusts medication dosages, orders laboratory tests,
and administers medication under protocol according to established
policies and procedures.
- Monitors the effectiveness and accuracy of the hospital
medication distribution system.
- Reviews all medication orders for appropriateness and adherence
to the drug formulary.
- Clarifies orders and intervenes when necessary.
- Verifies accuracy of medication preparation and dispensing by
- Provides medical personnel with medication information.
- Identifies potential medication safety issues and works
actively to prevent medication errors.
- Reviews patient medical records to detect adverse drug events,
and assists medical personnel to form treatment plans in response
to adverse drug events.
- Evaluates adverse drug events to determine their severity,
probability, and preventability for further analysis and
- Reviews patients medical record to verify proper delivery and
correct administration of medication.
- Ensures appropriate medication storage and security.
- Participates in investigational drug studies as required.
- Participates in problem identification and resolution. Consults
with supervisors when appropriate.
- Supports a collaborative Labor-Management Partnership
- Reports discrepancies to appropriate medical and/or
- Develops and tests requirements and specifications for
protocols, computer programs, pharmacokinetic dosing and other
pharmaceutical care applications.
- Participates in assigned education and training programs.
- Develops and maintains teaching curriculum and conducts
educational programs for pharmacy, other medical personnel, and
- Actively participates in rounds, hospital committees,
utilization review, quality management programs and other programs
- Participates actively as a member of the interdisciplinary team
during medical emergencies (e.g. Code Blue).
- Performs other duties as required.Basic
- Possesses a minimum of 1500 hours of inpatient pharmacy
experience within the last 3 years (e.g., intern pharmacist,
pharmacist) or successful completion of an ASHP accredited clinical
pharmacy practice residency within the last 5 years prior to start
- If Antimicrobial Stewardship Specialty, must have at least one
of the following credentials: Be a Board-Certified Pharmacist in
Infection Disease (BCIDP) OR, have completed a PGY2 residency
program in either HIV or Infectious Disease OR, the candidate has
worked 500 hours of time in antimicrobial stewardship, infectious
disease, or HIV pharmacy activities in the past three (3) years and
condition of achieving BCIDP within three (3) years of employment
OR, the candidate has successfully completed an ASHP accredited
PGY1 Residency (within the past three (3) years), with at least six
(6) weeks of antimicrobial stewardship, infectious disease, or HIV
learning experience activities during the residency year and
condition of achieving BCIDP within three (3) years of employment
OR, has obtained the following certification(s): Society of
Infectious Disease Pharmacists (SIDP) -
- If NICU/Peds/PICU Specialty, must have at least one of the
following credentials: Be a Board-Certified Pharmacist in Certified
Critical Care (BCCCP) OR, have completed a PGY2 residency program
in either Critical Care or Emergency Medicine OR, the candidate has
worked 500 hours of time in critical care or emergency department
pharmacy activities in the past three (3) years and condition of
achieving BCCCP within three (3) years of employment OR, the
candidate has successfully completed an ASHP accredited PGY1
Residency (within the past three (3) years), with at least six (6)
weeks of critical care or emergency department learning experience
activities during the residency year and condition of achieving
BCCCP within three (3) years of employment OR, has obtained the
following certification(s): ASHP Emergency Medicine Professional
Certificate. Additionally, PALS must be obtained within the
- Degree in Pharmacy from an ACPE accredited (or ACPE candidate
status) School of PharmacyLicense, Certification, Registration
- Pharmacist License (California) required at hire
- Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System
Registration required at hire
- Basic Life Support within 3 months of hire
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 3 months of hire
- National Provider Identifier required at hireAdditional
- Demonstrates knowledge of patient variables such as age, sex,
and other physical characteristics/presentation and disease states
as they relate to medication therapy.
- Comprehensive knowledge of acute care medications.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of current
pharmacological/biopharmaceutical principles, medical terminology,
pathologies and disease states, and the ability to relate this
information to the patients medical management plan.
- Demonstrated work experience performing aseptic technique and
the ability to prepare sterile IV products and chemotherapeutic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations regarding
the provision of pharmaceutical services.
- Demonstrated ability to extract pertinent information from the
patient, or other sources, and relate it to the patients medical
- Experience operating pharmacy computer system(s) and other
- Comprehensive knowledge of emergency medications.Preferred
- Doctorate of Pharmacy, Pharm.D.PrimaryLocation :
California,Fontana,Fontana Medical CenterHoursPerWeek : 40Shift :
VariableWorkdays : Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri,
SatWorkingHoursStart : 12:01 AMWorkingHoursEnd : 11:59 PMJob
Schedule : Full-timeJob Type : StandardEmployee Status :
RegularEmployee Group/Union Affiliation : B10-UPSC-GFPP-United
Pharmacists of So CalJob Level : Individual ContributorJob Category
: PharmacyDepartment : Fontana Medical Center - New - Inpatient
Pharmacy-1 - 0801Travel : NoKaiser Permanente is an equal
opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive
workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental
status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status,
genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of
diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
Keywords: Kaiser, Chino Hills , Inpatient Pharmacy Specialist Pediatrics / Peds - Full Time Variable Shift with Benefits - Fontana, Healthcare , Chino Hills, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...